Full Time Liveaboard Boat Life: Shredding a Sail while Sailing in France


When did we get here? Two days ago? The sail over here two and a half days ago we were sailing along, all the things were
great, life was good, and then we saw some dolphins and we thought, “Hey, that’s great. Good omen, dolphins” and then literally as soon as the Sun set and the Dolphins
said goodbye our davits broke. What just happened? And then within 20 minutes we had a dinghy that was upside down in the water
and no outboard motor. Um, yeah. All of our plans were now halted. Priority number one was to find an outboard engine. We arrived on a S unday so we had a picnic and we went to see a flick at the world’s oldest cinema. Also, while we were in La Ciotat we need to find a welder to reattach and reinforce the davits to the transom. Being in our first time in
France and except for pleasantries none of us speak French, Lise & Eric from Bon Fond, we’re very gracious and helped us find a welder so we met up with Julien and we attempted to communicate some sort of solution. We visited a few different places looking for an outboard motor and there was none to be found. One guy even told us that there are no outboard motors within the area that
were being sold and that instead we would have to buy a new one and that it would
take two weeks, but right next door we found a store that was selling a
refurbished 9.9 Yamaha outboard motor and that was actually the only one being
sold within a 20-mile radius. Wow, that sounds so much better. Way quieter. And there they go. What happened? It stopped running. But it was going so well! Going over there to talk to the guy. Apparently in France gazole is not
petrol. It’s diesel. SP 95 is petrol. I put diesel in a petrol engine. Understandably we had some miscommunications with Julien and after a week of trying to
dissolve a solution and us needing to be on our way we just straight-up bolted
the davits to the transom. Only having 14 days left to exit the EU without violating the Schengen Agreement we had almost 1,000 nautical miles to Albania.
1000 miles is near 10 days on the water. We had a smooth sail to Corsica where we stopped for a day to film with Thibault and Jelena. We sailed in the Gulf di Talabo and then sailed down around Le Bocche and across all the way,
there’s Roma, that’s where we are now. We beat windward to exit the bay and headed south. As we rounded the island beginning to
pass through the Strait of Bonifacio we read both pages with pretty much a
straight shot to Rome. The plan was that I was gonna man the
helm until around 2 a.m. Just as the forecast had suggested, as the Sun was
beginning to set, off to the north east about 15 miles I could see rain clouds
developing, but I thought if those rain clouds develop into a storm the wind is
coming out of the due west so the storm should stay to the north of us. But just
around midnight as I was watching the storm grow and it began to move south right in our path the decision was made that we were to turn around and head back for
Sardinia. We don’t actually have any footage of this because it was all hands on deck, midnight and hectic so this will stand in as Arianrhod. With the wind blowing a 6 on the Buford
wind scale we had to remove sail so we could head back to Sardinia. We were able to furl in the jib with ease. Though Sardinia lay off to our
starboard quarter, we turned on the engine and turned to port to spill the wind from
the Genoa so that we can disconnect the whisker pole and furl it in. It took
all my effort to disconnect the whisker pole and in the process the Genoa was
luffing aggressively. Beating against the pole the Genoa tore like it was
confetti. With the whisker pole finally stored, I crawled to the bow and furled
in the Genoa by hand. The bow was heaving at the crest and crashing into the
troughs and I bear hugged the sail to stay on the boat as I made incremental
progress. After three hours of motoring and a total of 15 hours on the water, we
finally dropped anchor and rested for a few hours. Midday we decided to head for open water and finish our sail to Rome. Upon arrival in Italy we tried to lower
the obliterated sail, but it was just too windy so we secured it the best that we could because we only had a single day to visit Rome. Decimated head sail. The boat looks fantastic right now. Subscribe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *